Wednesday 2 January 2013

Augusta de Mist reviewed as: “The BEST in Swellendam”

TripAdvisor review tells of great food and great hospitality.

augusta-garden
My work brings me to South Africa quite often and I travel to smaller towns as often as I can, when I can. Augusta de Mist is a destination in itself. I have stayed at other places in Swellendam and have always found them a little undefined. This place is different. The location, food, wine, gardens, staff - all just perfect. Henk and Michell are such excellent hosts and everything about Augusta is unlike any other establishment. It is not a 'guesthouse' or 'B&B'. It is a place where spirits are revived and joy infused. I felt as if I was staying with old friends. 

augusta_muttoncasseroleThe food is truly excellent - the flavours are bold and adventurous, and the guys really knows their spices - my starter was made with homemade ras-el-hanout and it was as good (or better)than what I have had in top restaurants. Breakfasts are also excellent. A word on the wine: The Augusta red which Henk and Michel blended is in a class of its own. the night I was there a UK wine journalist could not stop talking about how good this wine was. The rest of the wine list is also extremely good. None of the usual - these wines are handpicked and produced by people who the guys know personally. Portions are bourgondisch over dinner. I cannot rate this high enough. They are putting Swellendam on the map!!

No comments:

Post a Comment